Bland Diet Diet for Ulcers and Gastritis
What Is a Bland Diet?
A bland diet consists of foods that are easy to digest and mildly seasoned. Heavily seasoned, spicy, fried, and acidic foods are excluded on this diet.
Why Should I Follow a Bland Diet?
This diet may be recommended if you are suffering from:
While this diet cant cure these conditions, it can help manage their symptoms.
Foods to Avoid
The following list should be used as a guide. These are foods, beverages, spices, and condiments that commonly irritate the stomach. However, there may be foods on this list that dont bother you. Likewise, there may be foods not on this list that do bother you. Therefore, its important to monitor the foods you consume and how well you tolerate them.
Spices and Condiments
- Black, red, and white pepper
- Chili powder
- Salad dressing
- Highly seasoned foods (eg, soups, chili)
- Fried or greasy foods (eg, French fries, fried chicken, snack chips, donuts)
- Rich desserts (eg, cake, pastries)
- Raw vegetables (except lettuce)
- Raw fruits (except ripe bananas)
- Gas forming foods (eg, onions, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, sauerkraut, salad greens, rutabagas)
- Processed meats high in fat (eg, sausage, bologna, lunch meat)
- Tea (tannins)
- Caffeinated beverages (eg, coffee, tea, cola)
- Citrus juice, tomato juice
In general, try to choose foods and beverages that are: