Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
- Very loud snoring
- Episodes of long pauses of interrupted breathing during sleep
- Possibly struggling, snorting, gasping, choking, and partially or completely awakening in an attempt to restart breathing
Symptoms that occur as a result of these episodes of sleep apnea include:
- Disturbed rest
- Daytime sleepiness
- Problems staying alert or paying attention
- Poor memory
- Difficulty learning
- Decreased energy
- Sexual problems
- Mood swings
- Weight gain
- Hyperactivity in children
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease and heart attack
- Increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) in babies
American Academy of OtolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery website. Available at: http://www.entnet.org/ .
American Sleep Apnea Association website. Available at: http://www.sleepapnea.org/ .
Cecil Textbook of Medicine. 21st ed. WB Saunders Company; 2000.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/ .
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/ .