Treatments for Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Main Page
- Risk Factors
- Reducing Your Risk
- Talking to Your Doctor
- Resource Guide
The treatment and management of peptic ulcers involves lifestyle changes, medications, alternative and complementary therapies, and surgery. The goals of treatment include:
- Elimination of H. pylori infection
- Treating excess bleeding
- Promoting healing of the ulcer
- Relieving pain and discomfort
- Avoiding the development of complications (such as perforation, obstruction, gastric cancer)
- Preventing ulcer recurrence
Treatment may involve the following:
American College of Gastroenterologywebsite. Available at: http://www.acg.gi.org/ . Accessed March 3, 2006.
Cecil RL, Goldman L, Bennett JC. Cecil Textbook of Medicine . 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Company; 2000.
Meurer LN, Bower DJ. Management of helicobacter pylori infection. Am Fam Physician [online]. Apr 2002;65(7). Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020401/1327.html.