- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Prevent Atelectasis
Measures to prevent atelectasis are related to the various causes. They include:
- If you smoke, stop.
- If you are obese, lose weight.
- If you have a chronic lung or heart condition, follow your doctor's advice for managing the disease and limiting complications.
- If you are pregnant, get prenatal care and follow your doctor's instructions.
- Try not to inhale something solid. For example, chew your food well before swallowing.
- After surgery, follow instructions for deep breathing, coughing, and turning. Ask for pain medication if discomfort is limiting movement or coughing.
There are no articles are available for Atelectasis.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2013 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO