- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Prevent Atherosclerosis
There are a number of ways to prevent, as well as reverse, atherosclerosis. They include:
- Eat a healthful diet. It should be low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It should also be rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, lose weight.
- Don't smoke. If you smoke, quit.
- Control diabetes.
- If your doctor recommends it, take medication to reduce your risk factors. This may include medicine for high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Talk to your doctor about screening tests for atherosclerotic disease of the heart (coronary artery disease) if you have risk factors.
There are no articles are available for Atherosclerosis.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2013 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO