- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Prevent Endocarditis
If you have a high risk of infection:
- You may need to take antibiotics before certain dental or medical procedures.
- Talk to your dentist or doctor before the procedure.
The American Heart Association guidelines recommend that preventive antibiotic therapy should be considered for individuals with the following cardiac conditions:
- Various forms of congenital heart disease (heart defects)
- Artificial heart valves
- History of endocarditis
- Heart transplant recipients who have developed valve disease
Avoiding illegal IV drugs will also decrease your risk of infection.