- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Prevent Heartburn-Overview
Lifestyle changes can help prevent heartburn, including:
- Avoid overeating.
- Sit up for 2-3 hours after eating.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing.
- Elevate the head of the bed.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid drinking beverages that contain alcohol or caffeine.
- Change your diet to avoid certain foods.
- Chew sugarless gum for about 30 minutes after a meal. This will increase saliva flow, which can neutralize stomach acids in the esophagus.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Manage stress.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Overdiagnosed In Infants, Says Doctor
- Improve Your Digestion To Boost Your Mood, Metabolism, and Even Reduce Cellulite
- Heartburn Drugs For Asthma Relief Not Very Effective, Study Says
- Heartburn Drugs For Kids May Not be Effective, Study Says
- How to Reduce Heartburn During Pregnancy
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2013 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO