- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Diagnose Hypoglycemia
The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done.
If hypoglycemia is suspected, your doctor will try to document your low blood sugar. Your blood glucose levels will be measured while you are having symptoms.
If this is not possible, you may have a glucose tolerance test. This is a series of blood tests after taking glucose by mouth.
Other, less routine tests include:
- Laboratory tests for antibodies to insulin
- Imaging tests to check for a tumor, such as:
- MRI scan -a test that uses radio waves and magnetic fields to make pictures of structures inside the body
- CT scan -a type of x-ray that uses a computer to make pictures of structures inside the body
- Ultrasound-a test that uses sound waves to make pictures of structures inside the body