Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy Treatment
- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Treat Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
Treatment depends on the underlying cause of the condition, as well as the severity of the damage to the brain. Treatment options include:
- Life-sustaining treatment-If brain function has stopped but damage is not yet extensive, life-sustaining treatment is administered.
- Mechanical ventilation-This may be needed to sustain breathing.
- Treatments for the circulatory system-Treatments are administered to maintain heart function and control blood pressure.
- Seizure control-Medicine and general anesthesia may be administered to control seizures.
- Cooling-Hypoxic brain damage is often caused by heat. Cooling blankets or other means of cooling may be applied to reduce the body's temperature.
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment-This treatment is used in cases of carbon monoxide poisoning.
There are no articles are available for Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2013 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO