Lyme Disease Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
Lyme Disease Questions for Your Doctor
You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with Lyme disease. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and ask questions that you have not thought to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions or to learn where you can find more information about your condition. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor
About Lyme disease
- What is Lyme disease?
- How do you get Lyme disease?
- What does a tick that carries Lyme disease look like?
- What should I do if I get a tick on me?
- How do I safely remove a tick if I find one?
- Can you test the tick to see if it carries Lyme disease?
About Your Risk for Developing Lyme Disease
- Based on my medical history and lifestyle, am I at risk for Lyme disease?
- How do I best prevent Lyme disease?
- How do I know if I might have Lyme disease?
- Is there a test for Lyme disease?
About Treatment Options
- How do I best treat Lyme disease?
- What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements that I am already taking for other conditions?
- Will the medications cure me of the disease?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
About Lifestyle Changes
- Can I continue my regular activities?
- What can I do to prevent being bitten by a tick?
- How do I know that my prevention or treatment program is effective?
- Once I am treated, can Lyme disease come back?
- Is Lyme disease contagious?
- Can I get it again if another tick bites me?
What It Is
Learn the basics of this condition. Find out what you're dealing with.
What causes Lyme Disease? Learn what the medical community has uncovered.
Are you at risk of getting Lyme Disease? Inside you'll find known risk factors for the condition.
How will your doctor diagnose you with this condition? Learn about the tests, process, and more.
What are the Lyme Disease symptoms? Are you showing any? Learn more today.
Can this condition lead to other health problems? Learn more about the known complications.
Learn more about the specific tests or exams given by your doctor to screen for Lyme Disease.
What medications offer relief or help with this condition? Are there side effects? Risks? Learn more.
How can you prevent Lyme Disease? Read what the medical community suggests for prevention methods.
Can this condition be treated? What Lyme Disease treatment options are available?
Learn more about the day to day care of this condition. Changes to your activity, diet, exercise, and more.
Find a Doctor
Do you need to contact a doctor about Lyme Disease? Select a location to find a specialist in your area.