What is a good drug for severe fibromyalgia?

Know the answer? Share your knowledge and answer this Fibromyalgia question.


Take Action

< Fibromyalgia Questions

Questions About Fibromyalgia

What is a good drug for severe fibromyalgia?
I have tried demerol, but it maybe helped only 10 percent. I am not talking about using a strong drug longterm, just once every 6 mo or so when I have horrific pain. Anyone try morphine?Can I just go to the emergency room and get pretty much anything or do I need my own physician's perscription for something really strong?Tylenol with Codeine or Tylenol 3 doesn't work
My mom has that and she uses prescription morphine patches. She puts them on and replaces them every few days, and that seems to help her. I would find one physician and stick with them...he or she will try you on several things until you find something that works for you. Pain management is more difficult if you bounce around. Be honest with your doctor, and contact him or her as often as possible if you are in pain. They need to watch out for drug-seekers while making sure you remain pain-free. They will see you are legitimate if you are honest and contact them when necessary. Good luck and feel better!
Hello Fibromyalgia is a complicated syndrome. One medication is not going to work. I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago and became disabled 2 yrs ago. You should make sure the doctor your seeing is knowledgable about fibro, if not find someone who is. People who have fibro need a combination for medications to treat the symptoms, an antidepressant( helps with pain and depression) a muscle relaxer( to help control muscle spasms), an anti anxiety medication ( to controll the anxiety associated with the constant pain) a sleep medication, and a pain medication (either an opiate or non opiate) depending on your level of pain an tolerance to different medications. a product called Bio Gel works well its a rub that can be put directly on the painful muscles. Regular exercise is very important. Keep it to a level that doesn't cause flair ups. Moist heat also helps releave that deep aching. I have used morphine for the pain it works well if you can tolerate the side effects. (itching, sweating, nightmares, nausea). The emergency room will treat you if your doctor is not available they are usually reluctant to give opiates especially if your doctor has not prescribed them for you. You should talk to your doctor about your level of pain and let him prescribe what he thinks will work best for you. If you know codeine doesn't work, let him know, the next treatment is usually Tramadol or Vicodin, depending on whether or not your doctor is comfortable prescribing narcotics, most doctors arn't. Tramadol is a non narcotic pain medication that works much like an opiate with less chance of becoming addicted. Hope this helps some.
My mother has fm. She uses Valium to help her when she has a flare up. I have noticed that people with fm, and I know a lot, have a diversion to pain medication. They are very sensitive. I know of a few drugs that may help you...VicodinUltramPossibly Prednisone, if it happens every six months or so. This will help you a lot.The most important drug of all is SLEEP!!! You must get your sleep and try and avoid as much stress as you can. If you are under a lot of stress, see a therapist or doctor, or find ways to aleviate your stress. People with fm cannot afford to go thru a lot of stress, it works against them, besides what it normally does to someone, it also takes a toll on people with fm. My friend had the flu yesterday, and her fm flared up, because she had the dry heaves, and it upset all of her muscles from wretching. The ambulance came and got her, gave her 8 mg of morphine, they took her to ER and she was there a couple hours and they sent her home with a muscle relaxant, Flexeril.I hope you find what will be effective for you. I have compassion for anyone who suffers from fm.

Latest Articles

Latest Quiz

Do You Have Fibromyalgia?
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2014 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO