Seizure Disorder Symptoms
- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
Symptoms of Seizure Disorder
There are many kinds of seizure disorders with a variety of symptoms, such as:
- Aura-a sensation at the start of a seizure, may involve the perception of an odd smell or sound, spots appearing in front of the eyes, or unusual stomach sensations; an aura is a seizure
- Loss of consciousness
- Repeated jerking of a single limb
- Generalized convulsion, with uncontrollable jerking of muscles throughout the body
- Hand rubbing
- Lip smacking
- Picking at clothing
- Perception of an odor, sound, or taste
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Postictal state-a state of drowsiness, alteration in responsiveness, and/or confusion that commonly occurs after a generalized tonic-clonic seizure; may last minutes, hours, or days
Symptoms of generalized seizure disorders include:
- Generalized tonic-clonic seizures-loss of consciousness, uncontrollable jerking of muscles throughout the body
- Absence seizures-staring, eye blinking, or eye rolling
Symptoms of partial seizure disorder include:
- Complex partial or temporal lobe seizures:
- May lose contact with reality, stop purposeful activity, and begin a series of automatic gestures (eg, lip smacking, hand-wringing, or picking at clothing)
- May appear as a brief moment of confusion or loss of attentiveness
- May have a perception of unusual sights, sounds, or smells
- Simple partial seizures:
- Does not involve a loss of contact with reality or a loss of consciousness
- Single area of the body may move uncontrollably (eg, leg or arm shaking)
- May include the perception of an odor, sound, or taste, or an unrelated emotion
What It Is
Learn the basics of this condition. Find out what you're dealing with.
What causes Seizure Disorder? Learn what the medical community has uncovered.
Are you at risk of getting Seizure Disorder? Inside you'll find known risk factors for the condition.
How will your doctor diagnose you with this condition? Learn about the tests, process, and more.
What are the Seizure Disorder symptoms? Are you showing any? Learn more today.
Can this condition lead to other health problems? Learn more about the known complications.
Learn more about the specific tests or exams given by your doctor to screen for Seizure Disorder.
What medications offer relief or help with this condition? Are there side effects? Risks? Learn more.
How can you prevent Seizure Disorder? Read what the medical community suggests for prevention methods.
Can this condition be treated? What Seizure Disorder treatment options are available?
Learn more about the day to day care of this condition. Changes to your activity, diet, exercise, and more.
Find a Doctor
Do you need to contact a doctor about Seizure Disorder? Select a location to find a specialist in your area.
There are no articles are available for Seizure Disorder.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2014 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO