- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Treat Sunburn
Treatment will vary depending on the severity of the sunburn. The first and most important step in treatment involves getting out of the sun at the first sign of redness or tingling. Stay out of the sun until the skin is fully healed. This may take several weeks.
In addition, you can do the following:
- Apply a cool water compress to soothe raw, hot skin.
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatories.
- Take oral or topical corticosteroids. These will help to shorten the course of pain and inflammation. Topical steroids may not relieve skin redness.
- Take prescription antibiotics if an infection develops.
- Be extra careful to protect skin after it peels. The skin is very sensitive after peeling.