Tardive Dyskinesia Prevention
- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Prevent Tardive Dyskinesia
If you need neuroleptic drugs to control a psychiatric disorder, consider these guidelines to help prevent TD:
- Talk with your doctor about:
- Risks and benefits of the medication
- Whether the dose is right for you and how well the drug is working
- Other medications you can try that have less risk of TD
- Whether you can take a "drug holiday," to take a break from using the medication
- Even a small symptom of TD that you have-Early treatment works best.
- Do not stop taking your medication without first talking to your doctor. If you stop the drug right away, it may trigger TD.
- See your doctor every three months.
There are no articles are available for Tardive Dyskinesia.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2013 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO