Tension Headache Treatment
- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
How to Treat Tension Headache
Tension headaches are managed , rather than cured. Therapies aim to stop the headache and reduce the frequency of future episodes.
Treatment may include:
Medications may include:
- Over-the-counter pain pills-Continuous use of some over-the-counter medication may create rebound pain when you stop taking the drug. Pain medications are most effective when taken at the first sign of pain and before it becomes severe.
- Prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or muscle relaxants
- Drugs to prevent headaches, if you suffer from daily tension headaches
- Antidepressant medications, even if you are not clinically depressed
- Botulinum toxin injections (Botox)
Self-care During the Headache
Self-care may include:
- Put an ice pack or heat pack on your head or neck to ease discomfort.
- Take a warm shower, with water running over tense muscles.
- Massage your temples and neck.
- Practice relaxation techniques.
Lifestyle changes may include:
- Exercise regularly.
- Improve your posture.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Take breaks from tasks.
- Learn and practice stress management and relaxation techniques.
- Consider seeing a counselor to:
- Develop new coping skills.
- Identify events that trigger the headaches and work toward resolution.
Additional therapies may include:
- Acupuncture -Acupuncture may help you to have more headache-free days and lessen the intensity of headaches when they do occur.
- Physical therapy-Physical therapists can help you develop a home-exercise program.
- Massage therapy if the pain is in your neck and shoulders
If you are diagnosed with a tension headache, follow your doctor's instructions.
What It Is
Learn the basics of this condition. Find out what you're dealing with.
What causes Tension Headache? Learn what the medical community has uncovered.
Are you at risk of getting Tension Headache? Inside you'll find known risk factors for the condition.
How will your doctor diagnose you with this condition? Learn about the tests, process, and more.
What are the Tension Headache symptoms? Are you showing any? Learn more today.
Can this condition lead to other health problems? Learn more about the known complications.
Learn more about the specific tests or exams given by your doctor to screen for Tension Headache.
What medications offer relief or help with this condition? Are there side effects? Risks? Learn more.
How can you prevent Tension Headache? Read what the medical community suggests for prevention methods.
Can this condition be treated? What Tension Headache treatment options are available?
Learn more about the day to day care of this condition. Changes to your activity, diet, exercise, and more.
Find a Doctor
Do you need to contact a doctor about Tension Headache? Select a location to find a specialist in your area.