Typhoid Fever Prevention
- What It Is
- Risk Factors
- Living With
- User Questions
- Alternative Treatment
- Care Guide
- Questions for Your Doctor
- When to Contact a Doctor
- Find a Doctor
- Resource Guide
How to Prevent Typhoid Fever
There are two main ways to prevent typhoid fever:
Vaccine-A typhoid vaccine is recommended if you are planning to visit a country where typhoid fever is prevalent. However, the vaccine is not always effective and careful food monitoring is just as important.
Careful food monitoring-When you are in an area where typhoid fever is prevalent, always take the following precautions:
- Drink only bottled water or water that has been boiled for at least one minute. This includes ice.
- Eat foods while they are still hot, and ensure that they are thoroughly cooked.
- Avoid any raw fruits and vegetables that cannot be peeled.
- Avoid raw shellfish.
- Avoid unpasteurized dairy products.