Cholesterol Testing Care
Cholesterol Testing Details
Alternate Names for Cholesterol Testing:
Steps to take before the test depend on the test you are having. For example:
- Lipoprotein profile-You will need to not eat or drink for 9-12 hours before the test. Water is allowed during this time.
- Total cholesterol test and total cholesterol test with HDL measurement-You do not need to fast.
You will roll up your sleeve. An elastic band will be wrapped around your upper arm. An area on your arm will be cleaned with alcohol. The needle will then be inserted into your arm vein. A small amount of blood will be drawn into a tube. The needle will be removed. Pressure will be applied to the puncture site. A small bandage may be placed on the site. Your blood will be sent to a lab for testing.After Test
You will be able to leave after the test is done. When you arrive home:
- Go back to your regular diet.
- If told to do so by your doctor, take your medicines as usual.
- If you have an area of bruising, apply pressure to the area. Use a piece of cotton under the bandage.
A few minutesWill It Hurt?
It may hurt slightly when the needle is inserted.
Learn what the procedure is. Find out how it is performed.
Find out why and when this procedure should be done.
Learn about possible complications and what might increase the risk of them.
What to Expect
Find out how long it will take, what they will be doing and what to expect afterwards.
What are the next steps and other possible tests needed after you have received the results.
Call Your Doctor
What to look out for and when to call your doctor after a procedure has been done.