Reasons for Nuclear Stress Test
Why Nuclear Stress Test is Performed
Alternate Names for Nuclear Stress Test:
Myocardial perfusion imaging
Reasons for Test
Myocardial perfusion imaging is used to look for previous damage to your heart and your risk of future heart damage.
Some specific reasons to do the test include:
- Determine if you are at risk for a heart attack
- See if you need coronary angiography , angioplasty , or heart surgery
- See which areas of the heart muscle have poor blood supply
- Provide information about the heart's pumping ability
- See the amount of scarring that occurred from a heart attack
- Check the success of angioplasty or coronary bypass surgery
Learn what the procedure is. Find out how it is performed.
Find out why and when this procedure should be done.
Learn about possible complications and what might increase the risk of them.
What to Expect
Find out how long it will take, what they will be doing and what to expect afterwards.
What are the next steps and other possible tests needed after you have received the results.
Call Your Doctor
What to look out for and when to call your doctor after a procedure has been done.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright ©2013 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved. Source: EBSCO