Baked Sweet Beets and Quinoa Topped with Yogurt
For a really different and unique meal, try chef Martha Rose Shulman's recipe for sweet beets, quinoa and yogurt from The New York Times.
Sweet beets are arranged over cooked quinoa. After baking, top the quinoa and beet with a mashed garlic and yogurt mixture. Top with walnuts.
Is this breakfast, lunch or dinner? How about you have it any time you're looking for a truly healthy and delicious meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 allspice berries, ground (about 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground allspice)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom seeds
- 3 cloves, ground (1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (either red or regular; 3/4 cup uncooked)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 to 6 roasted beets, yellow, red or a combination; peeled and sliced
- 1 cup drained yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Click here for written directions.
Yield: Serves four to six
Nutrition (six servings): 247 calories; 10 grams fat (1 gram saturated fat); 1 milligram cholesterol; 32 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 89 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 9 grams protein