Heart Healthy Recipes: Vegan Tortilla Soup
Get festive this winter with this mildly spiced and heart healthy soup, topped with baked tortillas for an extra crunch.
Watch the video below as vegan chef Isa Chandra Mosokowitz shows you how to make this savory tortilla soup, which contains a rainbow of vegetables, including sauted onions, mild poblano peppers, amino acid rich pinto beans and fresh tomatoes.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 poblano peppers (or green bell pepper,) seeded, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, if you like it extra spicy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 oz whole tomatoes
- 24 oz vegetable broth
- 4 oz baked tortilla chips, divided (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Juice from 1 lime
Cant wait to taste this hearty soup? Click here for the written directions at katu.com.
Tip: Pair this tortilla soup with these healthy biscuits.