Media Kit: Audience
Who is Thirdage
ThirdAge, a leading life-stage media, marketing and consumer insight company, is the premiere site on the Internet exclusively dedicated to serving Baby-Boomers, aging mid-lifers and marketers who want to build lasting relationships with them. Generally in their early 40s to late 60s, these ThirdAgers are nowhere near ready to retire -- or even wind down. Rather, they are redefining what it means to get older, and doing so on their own terms. ThirdAge provides them with trusted content, informed insights and community connecting tools to do just that.
Focused on what matters most: Whether it’s discovering a new passion, learning new health strategies, planning for their next chapter in life – or finding a soul mate, visitors come to ThirdAge for information, resources and connections. The company’s realistic, yet positive framing, of the issues and interests that matter most to ThirdAgers -- Health & Wellness, Relationships & Romance, Money & Work, and Growth & Enrichment – makes it easy for visitors to find specific information and solutions tailored to their needs and wants. This saves ThirdAgers time-- a precious commodity-- and eliminates frustration often experienced when sifting through major portals or broadly based sites.
Who are ThirdAgers?
The Market: ThirdAgers ARE the new customer majority. They represent the fastest-growing, largest spending segment of any single demographic in history. Today there are 112 million people over the age of 45. 1 Boomer spending alone is projected to increase $800 billion to over $4.6 trillion by 2015 2 ; and over 65 million boomers are online – that’s 1/3 of the total 195.3 million web users in the US. 3 No one can afford to miss an audience this size.
Powerful economic force: 78 million Boomers control over 80% of personal financial assets and more than 50% of discretionary spending power.4
- Have the deepest pockets - responsible for more than half of all consumer spending5, buy 77% of all prescription drugs, 61% of OTC medication, and spend $500 million on vacations per year and 80% of all leisure travel.6
- Highest earners - median household income is 55% greater than post-Boomers and 61% more than pre-Boomers7
- Best educated of any previous group - 28.5% holding a bachelor’s degree or higher and 45 million boasting some college8
- Largest homeowner group - 80% of Boomers vs. 69% of the general population own a home and 25% own at least one property in addition to their primary residence.9
ThirdAge Audience & Site Metrics
ThirdAge has a loyal and highly sought consumer audience. The company is underway with an aggressive growth and marketing plan and attracted close to over one million unique visitors monthly in 2007; close to 2 million projected in 2008. The company also owns Menopause-Online.com , which often ranks #1 on Google’s search engine.
- 73% between 40 and 65 years old
- 70% female*, 30% male
- 50% married
The wave of new Baby Boomer focused websites, the recent launch of Boomer/50 Plus sub channels by major portals, and the increasing attractiveness of these properties for investment by venture capitalists, private equity firms and acquirers in this arena attest to the commercial potency of the aging demographic.
ThirdAge currently has no one direct competitor as defined by its rich in-depth content, its topical focus around positive aging, and its primary market-- adults in their early 40s through late 60s. Numerous indirect competitors exist who offer similar and/or overlapping subject matter aimed at this demographic--including major portals such as MSN’s new Boomer channel and AOL’s 50+ sub-channel; and many are vying for the same advertising dollars.
Competitive Differentiators & The ThirdAge Advantage
ThirdAge knows this dynamic audience better than anyone else: With over a decade of experience serving, researching and marketing to the mid-life and aging generations, ThirdAge is considered a respected authority on mid-life issues and is a valued resource for Boomers, their family members and adults in transition. The company has deep insights into aging, life stage development and mid-lifer’s priorities and preferences; and further, understands the core values that motivate their audience’s behavior. ThirdAge has established credibility, earned trust and built lasting relationships with all its constituents by delivering information to its users in an authentic voice that genuinely resonates, and by delivering valuable results to its business partners. ThirdAge’s distinct benefits accrue from:
- Trusted and respected brand
- Deep knowledge -- and understanding -- of life stage development & the diverse generations
- Proprietary, substantive and relevant content that matters to its audience
- Established and sizeable community of loyal users and subscribers
- Proven business model that continues to evolve
- Experienced, proven and passionate team that knows how to execute
Awards, Recognitions & Partnerships
Recent Awards, Recognitions & Major Strategic Partnerships
- 2007 Vimo Award-- most outstanding Diabetes Site for Seniors
- Japan 2007 Summit on Aging-- CEO invited delegate
- CEO is sought-after speaker at industry related conferences; including in 2007, Texas Governor’s Conference on Women, Baby Boomer Business, BTN: Beyond the Numbers
- WEBBY Award 2006
- Editorial Contributor to quarterly magazine, LIVEWIRE
- CEO named #8 in Fast Company’s Fast 50 in 2006
- Society for New Communications Research Social Media Award inaugural event, Dec. 2006
- Formed strategic research partnership with J. Walter Thompson’s mature market division, JWTBOOM
- Partnered with Starfish Partners – network of traditional, integrative and alternative healthcare providers
- Attracted notable ThirdAge Experts – including authors and leading experts, such as Bob Berkowitz, Nick Boothman, Marcia Wieder (America’s Dream Coach) and Jed Diamond
- Engaged ThirdAge Bloggers: Susan Mitchell, Connie Goldman, Yvonne Divita along with numerous other leading-edge authorities/voices
- Co-created proprietary “Say Yes” Diet (by author of Fat is Not your Fate)
- Proprietary Health Guides created with renown partners such as Alliance on Aging Research and Heart Center Online
Why ThirdAge, Why Now?
ThirdAge provides immediate entrée: As a respected industry leader and knowledge source in the aging midlife and Baby Boomer arenas, ThirdAge provides efficient and immediate access to the fastest growing, most dynamic market segment that controls the majority of the country’s financial assets. ThirdAge additionally facilitates access to new potential strategic partners and creates new high potential opportunities.