Food Allergy Death Tied to Peanut
The severe food allergy that killed 7-year-old Virginia girl Ammaria Johnson earlier this month was triggered when another student at her Chesterfield County elementary school gave her a peanut. According to ABC News, Johnson ate the peanut during recess and shortly after began to experience hives and shortness of breath.
Teachers took her to the school clinic and attempted to revive her when she stopped breathing, but it was too late.
“When emergency crew arrived, she was already in cardiac arrest in the clinic,” said Chesterfield County Fire Department Lt. Jason Elmore.
Johnson’s death was suspected to be related to a food allergy, but this was not confirmed until recently. An investigation by the Chesterfield police was able to confirm that Johnson died of cardiac arrest and anaphylaxis related to the peanut. No criminal action is being taken against the school, the child who shared the peanut or Johnson’s mother.
The tragedy made headlines as allergy experts said Johnson’s death should have been preventable. The girl could have been saved had Hopkins Elementary had an EpiPen on hand, ABC said. An EpiPen delivers an injection of epinephrine that reverses the effects of anaphylaxis.