Legionella Discovered at Aria Resort
Legionella, a bacteria that can lead to Legionellosis, or Legionnaire’s disease, was discovered at the Aria Resort & Casino at the CityCenter complex in Las Vegas, KLAS-TV reports.
The hotel said its water supply had high levels of the bacteria between June 21 and July 4.
Letters are going out to 18,000 guests who stayed at Aria last month to warn them about possible exposure to Legionella. MGM Resorts Senior Vice President of Public Affairs Alan Feldman told KLAS, "Most people who get exposed to Legionella are fine, but there's no reason to take any chances."
None of the hotel guests have reported being sick, but six people who stayed at Aria between December 2009 and April 2011 contracted Legionnaires' disease by inhaling the bacteria from the hotel's water.
It’s very common for Legionella to live in the water supply of large buildings, according to KLAS.
"It's everywhere. The idea is that it's not usual in high enough concentrations to cause a problem," Patricia Rowley, epidemiology manager with the Southern Nevada Health District, told KLAS. "If, for instance, it was in the shower head, you're creating a mist right in the shower when you get in. That mist could contain the bacteria."