Hiding Ugly Scars
HealthDay News - Scars are found on almost everyone's body. Although scars can't be erased, there are many ways to minimize their appearance, the American Academy of Dermatology says.
The academy recommends a consultation between the patient and dermatologist to decide the best treatment.
Here's a list of possible treatment options:
- Dermabrasion: A machine is used to remove the top layers of skin.
- Surgical scar revision: Best-suited for wide or long scars, this is a method of removing a scar and rejoining the normal skin.
- Laser resurfacing: a method of removing acne and chicken pox scars which involves high-energy light to remove damaged skin.
- Soft tissue fillers: injectable collagen used to elevate indented, soft scars.
- Punch grafts: small pieces of normal skin used to replace damaged skin.
- Chemical peels: the use of a chemical to remove the top layer of skin to smooth scars.
Source: HealthSCOUT. Powered by Yellowbrix.