CBS Reporter Lara Logan On Sex Attack In Egypt
Sexually Assaulted Reporter Speaks Out
Lara Logan, the CBS reporter who was sexually assaulted last February while reporting on the political unrest in Egypt, has given an interview to 60 Minutes, saying that she feared “a torturous death” while a mob attacked her.Logan was reporting with her team from Tahrir Square in Cairo when her interpreter, who spoke Arabic, told her he didn’t like some of the words he was hearing from the nearby demonstrators. Before Logan and her team could leave, she told 60 Minutes interviewer Scott Pelley, she was surrounded by a mob of men and swept away. For about 25 minutes, Logan told Pelley, she was separated from her team: her producer, Max McClellan; her photographer, Richard Butler; her interpreter; and her bodyguard. During that time, members of the mob beat and sexually assaulted Logan, who thought she wouldn’t survive the attack. “There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying,” Logan told Pelley. “I thought, Not only am I going to die, but it’s to be just a torturous death that goes on forever.” A crowd of Egyptian women and soldiers rescued Logan, who was flown back to the U.S. There, she stayed in a hospital for four days. Logan, who returned to work at CBS this week, said she’s grateful to be back with her two children. “I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn’t deserve..because I came so close to abandoning them,” she told Pelley. The entire interview will be broadcast Sunday night on 60 Minutes.